Sunday 21 February 2016

Affordable Home Accessories

Home accessories are a bit like mascara to your eye make up. Without adding the extra touch, your home will never feel finished, something will always be missing. Inserting your personality and your style will help make a space feel truly yours, so even if you have someone else decorate your house, I feel like it's important that you pick out some or most of the home accessories yourself. And it you're a budget you can get a bit more creative and use some good old DIY techniques. Pinterest is always a good way to collect ideas.



I like simple and a bit more minimalistic set up in my flat. I admit, actually displaying this is a major challenge sometimes as my boyfriend likes his collectibles. I'm sure some of you will have the same challenges, especially if you have a little one around. I find that it helps to have good storage around to ensure that everything that you don't want to see can be hidden in a clever and stylish way.

What is left out is stuff I like to look at. I find that one of the major improvements you can add to your home is some greenery, but you definitely don't have to spend a lot on this. Another way to save some money is to add some printable art in a simple frame. The one you can see above is from Ikea, and I believe it was under £5. The quote itself is on an ordinary A4 piece of paper that I printed out. Next to the standard items, I always like to add a statement piece. You can always find some eye catching home accessories in places like Tesco, Asda, Primark, etc. But if you have the chance to spend a bit more money on a few things, I would recommend getting some unique pieces that represent your personality and your style. My favourite shop for home accessories at the moment is Oliver Bonas. Their furniture prices are a bit too expensive for my budget, but I can't resist their accessories. The above silver and copper dish was £15 pounds, but I use it every day and it looks amazing in my living room.



So I mentioned greenery before. Because I'm not brilliant with plants, I really prefer some succulents scattered around the house to a bigger plant I can't keep alive. These are from Ikea and they're really affordable and don't require much attention. I like to place them on window sills and shelves to insert a bit of colour.



If you have any plants, you're going to have to water them (stating the obvious, I know...). I found this small copper spray water bottle in Marks & Spencer for £15. Again, it's not the cheapest you could get, but it ties in with all the metallic pieces in my room, so it's not just a handy piece of equipment, but an eye-catching home accessory.


I mentioned before that places like Tesco, Asda and Wilkos do some amazing statement pieces as well. This lamp is from Asda Home and it was £10.



I'm just going to let that sink in.



I know, £10! What a bargain! It really nice quality and a brilliant addition to my living room.


Speaking of affordable home accessories, H&M Home will definitely have to get a mention. Their stuff mimic the style of high end homeware shops like West Elm without being unreasonably expensive. There are some really nice candles, dishes and cushions I would definitely consider getting from there. In fact, I already have my eye on a bedspread that would go amazing in my bedroom and it is only £25. This candle was around £7 and the marble chopping board was £5 on sale.


Of course, candles are a must if you want your place to look anything like a picture on Pinterest. However I find that most unique scented candles are overpriced and I wouldn't necessarily want to spend that kind of money so often. So I decided to invest in these little tealight holders from Oliver Bonas. They were only £7.50 each and I only have to buy little tealights in them, which can be as cheap as £1 for a 100. The matte black finish on the outside gives it a very sophisticated look, whilst the copper inside gives them a modern edge. Love at first sight!


Marble and copper. Oliver Bonas did it again. I made this purchase a couple of weeks ago before Valentine's day (might I add it was before payday too), even though I really couldn't afford it then. But it was actually gave our home made Valentines dinner a more romantic feel, and now they look so chic on my bedroom window sill. I also feel like you can't have enough marble these days!

Now it's your turn: where do you like to get your home accessories from?


No comments:

Post a Comment